Monday, January 8, 2007

Personal Bill of Rights

I have a right to cry.
I have a right to all my feelings.
I have a right to make mistakes.
I have a right to change my mind.
I have a right to change and grow.
I have a right to be my own judge.
I have a right to say, “I don’t know.”
I have a right to say, “I don’t care.”
I have a right to take time for myself.
I have a right to feel proud of myself.
I have a right to feel normal and healthy.
I have a right to have choices in my life.
I have a right to my joys and achievements.
I have a right to say, “I don’t understand.”
I have a right to be assertive and confident.
I have a right to be angry at someone I love.
I have a right to not have to please everyone.
I have a right to test the water before I jump.
I have a right to be noticed, valued and loved.
I have a right to notice, value and love others.
I have a right to set limits for myself and others.
I have a right to have disagreements and conflicts.
I have a right to be relaxed, playful and frivolous.
I have a right to be healthier than those around me.
I have a right to know that I am probably not guilty.
I have a right to ask for help, support, and guidance.
I have a right to not let others use or manipulate me.
I have a right to not have all the answers all the time.
I have a right to trusting, open and honest relationships.
I have a right to my own understanding of my higher power.
I have a right to be motivated by feelings other than fear.
I have a right to be a little selfish to take care of myself.
I have a right to refuse to feel guilty when others feel bad.
I have a right to refuse destructive criticism and namecalling.
I have a right to refuse to be loyal when loyalty is undeserved.
I have a right to attention, approval, appreciation, and affection.
I have a right to see things in a shade of grey, not black or white.
I have a right to live my own life and make my own dreams come true.
I have a right to live free from the fear of hurting someone’s feelings.
I have a right to my disappointments, fears, hurts, angers, and criticisms.
I have a right to refuse to allow someone else to assume responsibility for me.
I have a right to refuse to accept another person’s logic or thinking as my own.
I have a right to be independent of the goodwill of others before coping with them.
I have a right to refuse to assume responsibility for someone else, or his happiness.
I have a right to take care of myself, physically and emotionally, in any circumstance.
I have a right to say, “NO!” to anything when I feel that I am not ready or it is unsafe.
I have a right to my own opinions, and to their expression without forcing them on others.
I have a right to my actions, desires and goals, without explaining/justifying them to others.
I have a right to terminate conversations with people who make me feel put down or humiliated.

I do not have to read minds.
I do not have to fit everyone’s mold
I do not and cannot control the behavior or others.
I need not fear rejection from those who may not like or admire my behavior.
I do not have the ability to create mental stability, well-being or happiness for someone else.

1 comment:

Tony said...

Not to bash wanting to barricade yourself from people/things/life, because I usually feel people/things/life are generally overrated, but I see your point.

This list has been hiding in my desk for years. I stumbled upon it a few days ago and thought I'd post it and see what kind of reaction it would get (it's also posted on my other (good) blog). People seem to like it.

So that it won't seem too overwhelmingly defensive, try to pick 2 or 3 that really relate to you, then it becomes more empowering.


About Me

I'm a 36 year old gay man from Central Arkansas. I'm living in a self-created fog that keeps me safe and comfy.